But, I thought I would highlight some of these as well as other fun reads for the summer. I'm even throwing in the runners-up to the runner up. Some of these have previews, so maybe when you're bored at work, you can skim it and be pleasantly surprised...If you read any of these books, let us know via the blog in case others want to borrow your book.
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
Preview of the first 67 pages
[From Wikipedia]: ...a politically charged novel by Indian author Arundhati Roy. It is a story about the childhood experiences of a pair of fraternal twins who become victims of circumstance. The book is a description of how the small things in life build up, translate into people's behavior and affect their lives.
Getting Stoned with Savages by J. Maarten Troost
Preview below
A Simple Path by Mother Teresa
Preview below
Summer Beach Reads
This next section are to highlight some summer beach reads. I often go here to search for book club suggestions (and there's a link on the blog to take you there).
Currently, these are the recommended beach reads (and I've read more than I thought already!) The writer of the blog has them into different categories with 4-10 recommendations in each, but she does have a "recommended" read for each one, which is what I'll highlight below. For the full list of beach reads click here (or click on the books below to take you to each topic).
If you like serial mysteries - beach books with likable detectives: Dead Until Dark by Charlain Harris (this is the book series that a select group has been reading; also True Blood the HBO series is based off the first book)
If you like "Chick Lit" - modern romance on the beach: Savannah Breeze by Mary Kate Andrews
If you like young adult books - reclaiming your childhood in the sand: Stardust by Neil Gaiman (also a movie with Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert DeNiro, and Henry Cavill - aka. hottie hot hot from The Tudors)
If you don't like fluff - smart beach reads: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows... but we're already reading this one!
If you like a good tear-jerker - beach books that make you cry: The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (tear-jerker indeed... right Emily?)
No comments:
Post a Comment