Tuesday, June 9, 2009

New Reads from Emily Ann's soiree

I'm invading your post with my admin powers. I'll be a different color though... how about pink! Thank you Luda (aka. Em, Emily, Emily Ann, Murphy) for hosting the group! Sorry I couldn't make it... I hate delayed flights! Though I did eat some scraps and get a review of the evening. :)

I have updated the R&E Ladies Reading List (found under "Links" on the right) to include the suggested books and the ones we are reading.

Here is more information on the 2 books you have picked:

Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific by J. Maarten Troost
From Booklist. Although accustomed to globe trotting, Troost and his wife, Sylvia, were truly innocents abroad when they moved to the island of Tarawa in the South Pacific, where Sylvia had accepted a government position. Tarawa is the capital of Kiribati--a republic of tiny atolls located just above the equator--and the place where Troost's dreams of paradise were shattered. Although Tarawa has much to offer, such as stultifying heat, dogged bureaucracy, toxic water, La Macarena, and the fantastic rituals of the I-Kiribati people, it lacks running water, television, restaurants, air-conditioning, and, the most crucial amenity, beer. Culture shock ensued for Maarten and Sylvia, and he chronicles their two years on Tarawa in a hilarious, sardonic travelogue. Among the more memorable episodes is the time a simple fishing trip turns into a hunt for a giant thresher shark and when Troost blasts a Miles Davis CD to combat the incessant repetition of La Macarena. Troost's mystified admiration for the I-Kiribati people shines through it all, and readers learn how humor itself can be a necessary tool for survival. Jerry EberleCopyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved


Flush: A Biography by Virginia Woolf
A novel contribution to Browning material, which will interest anyone who saw THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET, anyone who is collecting Browning data, and most people who like to read about dogs. For with the slenderest material to work on, Miss Woolf has produced a sympathetic study of the famous spaniel, and made him a real and vivid personality. First owned by Miss Mitford, he roamed the country at will; after he was given to Miss Barrett, he settled down into the role of invalid's dog. When Robert Browning appeared on the scene, he showed keen resentment at sharing his mistress' attention, but eventually accepted him as inevitable. The move to Italy was a ticket to freedom. Though essentially Flush's story, Virginia Woolf has given interesting sidelights on the Brownings and those associated with them, and she has told it in her most delightful style, devoid of the indirection and obscurity of most of her fiction. (Kirkus Reviews )



Books on the table, so to speak:

My Sister's Keeper
Mother Theresa: A Simple Path
Zookeeper's Wife
Virginia Woolf--dog's perspective on EBB (Flush)
A Horizontal Life: A collection of one night stands
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
Broken for You
Sex Lives of Cannibals

Round 1: 3, 3, 3, 6, 6, 1, 0, 6
Round 2: 7, 6, 7

Karina's not here so we're not going with primary and secondary (I feel like a nazi... I don't care if we don't have a primary. Usually you do what you want anyway. :) )...the winners are Flush by Virginia Woolf, and Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost.

Summer watch out, here comes ladies who eat, drink, and read with a vengeance! Our next meeting will be 30 July on Sara's summer patio!

1 comment:

KFM said...

For the record, it doesn't matter to me if we don't have a "primary." :) I usually leave that to you to decide.