The first is a tale of how I finally became a "blogger" and have the key to unlock (or even tear down) this quaint little cyberland called Reading and Eating Ladies...and I still can't locate Mary's super yummy gazpacho recipe. Will our heroine find the fantastic studly shrimp dish she is searching for, or will her journey into the realm of Spanish fare end with one of the plain old not-so-much-different-than-salsa varieties that abound on the internet?
I wish I could say that the character drives this drama...but unfortunately she's a little boring: untalented in cyberspace, has a history of settling for the first recipe that pops up...basically she just wants someone to tell her what to do. Not an admirable character, but you're still rooting for her to win in the end....
Ok, I may have reached the extent of my creativity for the morning...but I did want to post a little about The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, after being chastised (and rightly so) for bringing a hardback without a cover to recommend itself to book club last night! Diaz is a Dominican author (wait until the name Jimenez is up there with Mr. Diaz and Ms. Alvarez...um, do you have to have a "z" at the end of your surname to make it???) - the author of bestseller Drown. Oscar dreams of making it big in literature and love, but is plagued by a family curse. I like fiction about struggling writers - maybe he's a bit like Martin in One Good Turn? We seemed to get a kick out of him. From the IFC: "Rendered with uncommon warmth and humor... an astonishing vision of the contemporary American experience and the endless human capacity to persevere - and to risk it all - in the name of love."
Ergo, a love story for Mariela, even though it might be more about familial love than romance. And it's in Spanglish.
1 comment:
I believe that she faired quite well... and I appreciate that no time was wasted in posting something!
Post a Comment