Friday, July 11, 2008

Next Reading...

From Karina:

Thank you Mary for being our gracious host not only for this last meeting, but also for the next meeting! Although I wasn't able to attend the meeting (the first one missed!), I heard from everyone that it was a good time. Also, welcome to all the new members! We're so glad to have you on board.

From Mariela:

Hello ladies,

Mary- thank you for the lovely evening in your home. I think we covered all aspects of Erik’s Devil in the White City. And have determined your home should remain as our hub for serial killers, mystery novels, etc.

If the weather permits; we can sit outside, enjoy the beautiful view of LaJolla and cook yummy foods on the grill. We also decided to change the lead in conversation a bit. For August, please bring any question that may arise while you are reading the books. We will place them in a bowl and choose the questions randomly for discussion.

Hello to the new members introduced by the one Emily Murphy. And a, "what’s up, we missed you!" to the pretty ladies eating and reading somewhere else last Tuesday.
Okay, once Karina returns, we’ll be back to more humorous entries. Until then- happy reading!

Next meeting: Wedesday, August 20th

Time: 6:30pm

Books:


One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson

You can see the details about the book on the other post!






The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon




Michael Chabon may be the best author today at making vivid his most wild, and personal, imaginings. Who else could take readers to a post-World War II where Jews have migrated to Alaska and created a society that is darkly fantastic and devastatingly real – and then make it a fine detective novel with a Jewish Bogart with his own Maltese Falcon in the form of the dead body of a drug-addicted chess player who may just be the Messiah? This description is not even the genesis of how bizarrely fantastic The Yiddish Policemen's Union is.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I just got my book and have barely started. I'm taking a class so I hope that doesn't cut into my reading time too much. Mary- I was wondering if you would share your awesome gaspacho recipe with us?

Emily B.